New Delhi : West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar will be the NDA’s candidate for the Vice-President’s election. BJP president JP Nadda announced Dhankhar as the NDA candidate after a parliamentary board meeting at the party headquarters here.
Nadda said, After detailed discussion and considering all the names, the BJP Parliamentary Board has decided to announce the name of farmer’s son Jagdeep Dhankhar as the BJP and NDA candidate for the post of Vice President. Presently he is in West Bengal. is the governor of the state and has been in public life for almost three decades.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, BJP President JP Nadda, Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Amit Shah and Nitin Gadkari and Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan were present in the Parliamentary Board meeting.
In the last election, the opposition had fielded Gopalkrishna Gandhi but he lost to BJP’s M Venkaiah Naidu. In 2017, Naidu secured 516 votes defeating Gopalkrishna Gandhi of the opposition, who could manage only 244 votes.
The last date for filing nomination papers for the Vice Presidential election is July 19 and the election is scheduled to be held on August 6. If necessary, the counting of votes will be done on the same day.
Here is some information about Jagdeep Dhankar Career-
- Born on 18 May 1951 in Kithana village of Jhunjhunu district of Rajasthan.
- Completed schooling from Sainik School Chittorgarh.
- Graduation in Physics and LLB from Rajasthan University.
- Practiced in Rajasthan High Court and Supreme Court.
- Former President of Rajasthan High Court Bar Association.
- Nominated Senior Advocate in 1990.
- Elected to the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly from Kishangarh in the 1993 state elections.
- Appointed Governor of West Bengal in July 2019.